campaign / awareness building / sensitization
- Project runs from
Global Initiative on Psychiatry, HealthNet TPO and Estuar have joined forces to raise awareness on mental health as an important part of development aid.
The aim of this development project funded by the EU is to raise awareness in four countries of the European Union (as well as at the EU-level and among other development actors) about mental health as a developmental aid issue.
The project will contribute toward increased interest among important stakeholders in older and newer EU member states about mental health issues and needs in developing countries. For the new member states the project will be especially important because it will make the need for Lithuania, Bulgaria, and Romania more tangible to play a bigger role in providing development aid in general, and will encourage them to consider making mental health a central concern of their development assistance work
This project will also help to incorporate mental health into other important current areas to which developmental aid is directed, such as HIV/AIDS, maternal/perinatal health, combating poverty, thereby making assistance provided in these areas more effective in the medium and longer-term. Finally the awareness-raising accomplished by this project will contribute to better coordination and transparency of the support provided to mental health needs in developing countries.
Public Awareness Campaign
• A Mental Health Battle will be organized in fall 2009/spring 2010;
• Curriculum-based workshops on mental health in developing country contexts will be origanized on World Mental Health Day in Oct. 2009;
• A documentary film and a photo exhibitions will also be organized as a part of the campaign.
Knowledge & Information Sharing on MH in Development Country Contexts
• Creation of a Resource Center on mental health in developing country contexts;
• Establishment of website and web-based community platform;
• Holding regular meetings with key persons from mental health organizations in NL.
Advocacy for greater attention to MH in Development Assistance Programs
• Roundtables with stakeholders in NL, LT, BG, RO and at the EU level;
• Establishment of groups of knowledgeable and effective advocates in NL, LT, BG, RO and at the EU level;
• International conference in Brussels (end 2010).
Themes: Themes: general mental health / psychiatry, education
Targets: Targets: all people with mental problems